10/28/10

reshape your plate – part 4 – choosing foods

Slide1

Have you been applying this yet? I want to hear your thoughts as you learn and try new things. I know that I have a lot to learn with all this still, so please share!

Here are the other parts of my reshape your plate series if you are interested in catching up! All parts here.

To review the three layers

  1. Reshape your plate
  2. Serving sizes
  3. Food choices

I have talked about the first two, but now we are on the third! Food Choices!

What constitutes a good food choice?

Here is The Plate Method with food choices added on top of the colors and portion sizes.

image

I really don’t feel like I need to say more on this. It is pretty self-explanatory. But I will give some overview

The food groups for your plate are

  • 1/2 plate veggies (1/4 should be dark greens or oranges and the other 1/4 another veggie)
  • 1/4 plate grains and/or starches (potatoes, corn, peas, and lima beans are considered starches – so those don’t count as veggies
  • 1/4 plate meat and beans – I talked a little last time about portion sizes for your meat. I like that this diagram has lean, very lean, and dry beans and peas sectioned out. This becomes helpful in planning meals.

Which is for next week! Are you finally ready to get into some application of this!?! YES!

No comments:

Post a Comment