My mom introduced me to bountiful baskets this past week. I tried it and it is the BEST thing I have ever done!!!
Bountiful Baskets is a co-op that a whole bunch of people pool their money to get a great deal on produce. It is 15.00 for a LARGE bundle of food – 50% veggies and 50% fruit – or 6 fruits and 6 veggies. This is a volunteer organization so on your first time you pay a 3.00 fee on top of the cost of food, to have them purchase you a basket to sort the produce. I was a little skeptical about this, but I am so overjoyed at the results!
For $15.00 I got around:
- 10 pears
- 10 apples
- 2 lbs grapes
- 10 bananas
- head of romaine lettuce
- 5 tomatoes
- bag of fresh green beans
- 12 sweet potatoes
- 2 cucumbers
- 1 yellow squash
Amazing huh? It is almost enough produce to last us 2 weeks and I usually spend $25.00 on produce every 2 weeks. Everything is fresh and healthy.
They have places in Colorado, Oregon, Idaho, Utah, Montana, Washington, Wyoming, Nevada, Arizona & Texas that do this. Their website is kind of hard to understand, but this is what you will do:
- Go on to their site at bountifulbaskets.org
- You can click on Locations to see if one is offered close to you
- You can click on Current Offerings to see what they are offering for the week
- I love the idea of bread baskets and Mexican baskets that offer tomatoes, chilies, onions and such.
- Today they don’t have any offerings because they had one this morning. I would check back next Monday. That is about when I did mine.
- When there is an offering you just make an account and purchase. Then when you go, make sure you take your own box/laundry basket to bring your food home in.