1/27/12

book review–the guernsey literary and potato peel pie society

well if that isn’t a mouthful, I don’t know what is!

I read this book as recommended by my mom and a good friend of mine. And I was not disappointed! It was a sweet, story with great emotion. I loved the layout of letters written instead of chapters. I found myself laughing out loud at parts and really pondering on other parts.

Some of my favorite quotes from it are the following:

  • men are more interesting in books than they are in real life
  • reading good books ruins you for enjoying bad books
  • I think you learn more if you’re laughing at the same time
  • does it ever give the pause that men used to have a soul – not by hearsay alone, or as a figure of speech; but as a truth that they knew, and acted upon! Verily it was another world then… but yet it is a pity we have lost the tidings of our souls … we shall have to go in search of them again, or worse in all ways shall befall us.  isn’t that something – to know your own soul by hearsay, instead of it's own tidings?
  • and through some queer sort of intuition, I always know where she is, just as I know where my hands are – and if I didn’t, I should be sick with worry.
    • I felt like this one was so true of being a parent. I always know where my girls are and those moments of silence in my house is just asking for me to get up off my chair in search for them.

1 comment: